Malcolm Mason is an experienced employment lawyer with more than 30 years’ experience in UK and EU employment and labour matters. He represents businesses of all sizes from start-ups to Fortune 100 companies on a full range of employment and labour issues.
He is qualified both in England & Wales as a solicitor (1975) and as a US attorney-at-law in the State of New York (1984) and practised for some years as both a UK and US employment lawyer in both New York and London with leading employment law firms, Epstein Becker & Green and Morgan Lewis & Bockius in New York and London, and most recently Eversheds in London.
In a career which started with representing Arthur Scargill’s NUM when statutory employment and labour law was in its infancy and, at times, rather acrimonious, Malcolm has developed a broad range of specialisms, including:
- Creating and revising HR and employment documentation/systems
- Engaging employees generally and drafting employment and related agreements for senior management
- Individual and often difficult dismissals
- Confidential and sensitive internal investigations
- Discrimination and equal opportunity claims
- Classification of workers (consultants -v- employees)
- Confidentiality and restrictive covenants
- Working time issues
- Industrial disputes
- Claims before the employment tribunals and the civil courts
- Employee participation – UK and European works councils
- UK redundancies and strategic advice on Pan-European reductions
- Transfers of Undertakings