Mobile: +44 (0)7516 045756
Malcolm Mason is an experienced employment lawyer with more than 30 years’ experience in UK and EU employment and labour matters. He represents businesses of all sizes from start-ups to Fortune 100 companies on a full range of employment and labour issues.
He is qualified both in England & Wales as a solicitor (1975) and as a US attorney-at-law in the State of New York (1984) and practiced for some years as both a UK and US employment lawyer in both New York and London with leading employment law firms, Epstein Becker & Green and Morgan Lewis & Bockius in New York and London, and most recently Eversheds in London.
In a career which started with representing Arthur Scargill’s NUM when statutory employment and labour law was in its infancy and, at times, rather acrimonious, Malcolm has developed a broad range of specialisms, including:
- Creating and revising HR and employment documentation/systems
- Engaging employees generally and drafting employment and related agreements for senior management
- Individual and often difficult dismissals
- Confidential and sensitive internal investigations
- Discrimination and equal opportunity claims
- Classification of workers (consultants -v- employees)
- Confidentiality and restrictive covenants
- Working time issues
- Industrial disputes
- Claims before the employment tribunals and the civil courts
- Employee participation – UK and European works councils
- UK redundancies and strategic advice on Pan-European reductions
- Transfers of Undertakings
Client comments about his work:
- Because Malcolm Mason understands American as well as U.K. labor and employment law, I think he is very effective with sophisticated American clients, and I would unhesitatingly recommend him to any firm. Steven C. Babb – Vice President and Assistant General Counsel – Labor and Employment – Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Malcolm’s principal strengths are his responsiveness to his clients, his ability to mediate between American and European employment cultures and his international legal expertise. Joseph A. Teklits – Associate General Counsel – Office of General Counsel – Unisys Corporation
- His steady, confident, and, when appropriate, light touch, on all challenges was invaluable in aiding me through many unique challenges of UK employment law and other commercial issues. Allison McCabe – formerly Managing Director of International Merchandising, Stores and Operations – Talbots, Inc.
In his spare time, you might find Malcolm on a clear stream or river (although even sometimes the Thames) with his fly rod trying to entice a trout or perhaps a sea-trout or salmon to accept his piscatorial offerings.
Mobile: +44 (0)7516 045756